Due in 12hrs
Assignment #1: Paper discussing the legal obligations of a health care organization (accounting for 12.5% of the final grade)
From the topic below, identify two specific legal obligations that a specific health service organization has to its patients and then write a paper discussing all the areas listed in the outline following this subject list. Include a cover page and a list of references at the end of the paper. Paper will be double spaced and be approximately 4 pages (1000 words) in 12 point New Times Roman font.
Topic: HIV Mandatory Reporting
Note: Outline: Must use the underlined headings from the outline below in your paper and the paper must be in narrative form not outline or bullet format. 5% penalty deducted from paper if underlined headings not used in your paper.
- Official Title of the Law or Laws:
State the official title of the federal and/or state law, the statute and section number. Must be either a federal statute or state statute and you must cite both if applicable. Thus if there is both a federal and state law that covers your subject picked then you must cite both. Do not assume that there is just a federal and or state law. In most cases there is both a federal and state law. You must use the laws cited in this section throughout the rest of the paper.
- Health Care Organizations Obligations to meet Patients Legal Rights:
Describe in detail two specific legal obligations, required by the federal and or state law, that a health care organization owes to its patients. Include the specific law citation that describes the patients rights. Use in-text citations for all statistical references.
- Consequences for Non-Compliance:
First, discuss in general the civil and criminal consequences from either the federal and or state law. List the two legal obligations from the previous section, then discuss two (2) specific consequences from the federal and or state law, one consequence for each legal obligation, for the organizations non-compliance. Then for each consequence you must research and discuss one relevant real life case. In other words, you must discuss one (1) consequence for each legal obligation and have one real life researched case for each consequence. See outline below. Cases must be found via the internet or print media or from personal real life experiences. In other words, what would happen if the organization neglected to meet its obligations to its patients? Be specific. Provide the specific Federal and or state law citations to back up your claim of the consequences. Provide link to source of information.
1) Legal obligation 1
- One specific consequence
- One real life case
2) Legal obligation 2
- One specific consequence
- One real life case
- Health Service Organization Management Actions to meet Legal Obligations for Patients Rights:
Describe in detail three (3) specific management actions, within your control as a health care manager that you would institute, to ensure the health care organization complies with its obligations to protect the patients rights. Be specific as to each management action you would personally institute and why. No general comments. These actions may include specific uses of technology, procedures, human resource training, and other management tools.
- Conclusion:Summary of your findings above.
- ReferenceList [APA Format]
The paper must be:
- Late penalties: Paper is due by due date but if there occurs an extraordinary event beyond your control, then you need to contact me as to the reason and then we can discuss a new due date if I agree with your excuse. In every case of an extension you will be penalized 11% [no chance for an A on the paper] for the first day late and an aIDitional -1pt. for each day thereafter, no matter the excuse. There are 100pts in the rubric so if one day late you will lose 11pts.
- Be sure and use the underlined headings found in the outline below in your paper. Paper must be in narrative format not outline or bullets.
- Include a cover page [not counted as a page] which should have student name and title of your paper [Provide a short name for the legal responsibility the specific health care organization has for one type of patient right in a specific setting ]
- At the end of the paper a list of references [not counted as a page]
- Be prepared using word-processing software and saved with a .doc, .docx, or .rtf extension. No pdf.
- Be uploaded to your Assignments Folder by 11:59 p.m. EST on the due date.
- The paper is to be posted in Assignment #1 drop box.
- Must cite to the source for all facts in the text of your paper in APA format.
Example of in text citation:
(Ernst, & Young, 2000 p. 14).
Example of source cited on reference page:
Healthcare Financial Management Association (U.S.), Ernst, & Young. (2000). Health care system reform: A provider perspective : survey results. Westchester, Ill.: Healthcare Financial Management Association.
Except where noted, the assignment is written in clear, concise narrative. All sections of Assignment #1 are required.
The grading rubric for this assignment is in the Assignment Folder, or can be opened by clicking on the Assignment #1 Grading Rubric tab in the lower right corner of the screen, if you opened the Assignment in Content.