You are the HIM Director in an acute care hospital setting. Your facility has purchased an electronic health record (EHR) system and pressure is mounting to deploy this system as soon as possible by the chief information officer (CIO) and chief of the medical staff (CMS). However, during a testing period, you and your staff discover that the EHR system does not comply with applicable federal privacy and security standards. It is your recommendation to stop the deployment until these issues can be resolved; however, the CIO and CMS disagree.
Outline your response as the HIM directors perspective to each of the nine steps as if you were writing the memorandum to the CIO and CMS ( fill in info for each step)
1. Clearly define the issue.
2. Determine the facts of the situation.
3. Determine who the stakeholders are, the values at stake, and the obligations and interests of each stakeholder.
4. Determine what options are available and evaluate them.
5. Decide what should be done.
6. Justify the decision made by identifying reasons that support the decision.
7. Implement the decision.
8. Evaluate the outcome of the decision.
9. Examine how to prevent the issue from recurring