- How does advertising influence healthy habits?
- How do the media shape our perception of what is “normal”?
- What does it mean to be an informed consumer?
- How has legislation helped limit the health risks of smoking?
- Why is it in the government’s interest to promote health and safety?
Critical Thinking Questions
- Which media sources do you think are the most reliable for information about health? Explain your answers.
- What is the author using the example of the Marlboro Man to illustrate the dangers of smoking?
- Why do you think that very thin models are often featured in advertisements?
- If you were asked to create a public service announcement to promote health, what topic would you choose and why?
- Why would it be beneficial to eliminate smoking from high schools?
What is your favorite commercial and why? Does this commercial influence you to buy the product? Why or why not? Be sure to include a link to the commercial so that you can share it with the class.
Is there 2-1-1 service in your area? If so, dial 2-1-1 to see what kinds of health-related services 2-1-1 provides information about. If you don’t have 2-1-1 in your area, use the Internet to see what kinds of services are available in your area. Describe two health-related services in your area that you found through the 2-1-1 service or online.