Week 5 – Final Presentation
The U.S. Health Care System: Part 2
[WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]
Due by Day 6
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, review the textbook chapters we have covered thus far and the Appendix: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) of 2010 and other required readings for this week: Crisis in U.S. health care: Corporate power still blocks reform; What do we know about the needs and challenges of health systems? A scoping review of the international literature; Health care reform in the United States: Past, present and future challenges.
For your Final Presentation, you will continue your Week 3 The U.S. Health Care Presentation: Part 1 assignment on the on the U.S. health care system by expanding on the information it presented. Imagine you are a community health director educating a group of new health care professionals about the U.S. health care system. You have been asked to create a PowerPoint presentation that includes elements about history, major developments, stakeholders, costs, reforms, and beliefs as well as a comparison of the U.S. health care system to another country’s health care system.
Note: You will be including the Week 3 The U.S. Health Care Presentation: Part 1 presentation slides for the first section of the Final Presentation. Please make sure to correct issues and address recommendations from your instructor’s Week 3 assignment feedback. Then continue adding Parts 2 through 5 as directed below.
Part 1: Include the slides from your Week 3 Presentation
Part 2: The Cost of the U.S. Health Care System
- Describe three different reimbursement methods (e.g., capitation, fee-for-service [FFS], pay-for-performance [P4P], value-based, episode of care, prospective reimbursement, diagnosis related group [DRG], patient-centered medical home [PCMH]).
- Explain why you think one of the reimbursement methods you discussed is more effective at reducing health care costs overall while still ensuring the delivery of quality care.
- Describe the use of two technological advancements (e.g., electronic medical record [EMRs], electronic health records [EHRs], medical research, improved equipment like magnetic resonance imaging [MRI], mammography, personalized medicine, mobile services like e-prescribing, disease registries, ).
- Explain why you think these advancements have reduced costs overall while still ensuring the delivery of quality care.
Part 3: The United States Versus Other Health Care Systems: An International Perspective
- Contrast the S. health care system with another country (e.g., Canada’s universal health care or South Africa compared with the U.S. health care system, etc.). You can use the same country discussed in the Week 4 Health Care Systems Around the World discussion.
- Discuss how the other country’s health care system is funded.
- Discuss disparities in health care from your chosen country.
- Include at least one positive aspect from the other country’s health care system that you would like to see added to the S. health care system, explaining why you would like this addition.
Part 4: Reforms and Improvements
- Describe two potential reforms and improvements currently being debated at either the local, state, or federal You may want to review the Laws and Regulations Affecting Health Care discussion prompt to help you with this component. Examples could include any of the following:
- Federal modifications (e.g., antitrust reforms, CHIP, HSA or HRA, Medicare reform, Medicaid expansion, PPACA repeal, pharmaceutical regulations, development of a universal system, veterans’ health care, crossing borders for health care, clinical trial research, )
- State modifications (e.g., Medicaid reform, income tax credits, adoption of state level universal health care, etc.)
- Increased consumer controls (e.g., patient-centered care, provider choice, complementary and alternative care choices, activism for changes at the state and federal level, etc.)
- Reimbursement changes (Medicare, Medicaid, managed care plans, traditional insurance plans, etc.)
Part 5: Conclusion: The Future of the U.S. Health Care System
- Examine what you believe the S. health care system will resemble in the next 10 years by recommending two changes and addressing access to care, quality of care, and cost of care, including an example of each in your vision of the future health care system.
Wikimedia Commons (Links to an external site.)can help you explore creative commons images. Also use the PowerPoint Instructions Handout to locate linked resources for properly building a PowerPoint presentation. You may also want to review What Is CRAAP? A Guide to Evaluating Web Sources (Links to an external site.).
Submit your Final Presentation via the classroom to the Waypoint Assignment submission button by Day 6 (Sunday) no later than 11:59 p.m.
The U.S. Health Care System: Part 2 Final Presentation
- Must include Part 1 slides from your Week 3 Assignment presentation
- Must be 15 to 20 slides in length (not including title and references slides) and formatted according to APA style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s (Links to an external site.) How to Make a PowerPoint Presentation (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title slide with the following:
- Title of presentation
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must use the textbook and at least 3 scholarly or credible sources (at least one should be from the Ashford University Library).
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate reference slide that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource i