Application: Treatment Plans
Once an accurate diagnosis and assessment has taken place, a counselor working with substance abuse clients must create an effective treatment plan. For this Application assignment, you will develop a treatment plan for a particular case study, taking into account any ethical and legal considerations.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources, focusing on the key elements of developing an effective substance abuse treatment plan.
- Reflect on the components and requirements of treatment planning, how treatment plans may be developed, and what elements may be included in specific treatment plans.
- Review the Course Media segment, “Counseling Techniques and Treatment Planning,” with Dr. Tom Cargiulo. Pay particular attention to Dr. Cargiulo’s discussion of levels of care and planning concerns such as monitoring and discharge.
- Review the following case study: Sharon.
- Think about how you might develop a treatment plan for the case study.
- Consider the legal and ethical issues that may pertain to treatment planning and treatment in this particular case.
The assignment: (1–2 pages)
- Develop a treatment plan for Sharon that includes the following information:
- Current symptoms or indicators
- Goals (long-term and short-term)
- Objectives/outcome criteria
- Describe any ethical and legal considerations that should be taken into account regarding treatment planning and treatment in this case.