To prepare Read the case provided by your instructor for this week’s Discussion and the materials for the week. Then assume that you are meeting with the client as the social worker who recorded this case.
Post a response in which you address the following
- Provide the full DSM-5 diagnosis for the client. Remember, a full diagnosis should include the name of the disorder, ICD-10-CM code, specifiers, severity, and the Z codes (other conditions that may need clinical attention). Keep in mind a diagnosis covers the most recent 12 months.
- Explain the diagnosis by matching the symptoms identified in the case to the specific criteria for the diagnosis.
- Describe the assessment(s) you would use to validate her diagnosis, clarify missing information, or track her progress.
- Summarize how you would explain the diagnosis to the client.
- Explain how you would engage her in treatment, identifying potential cultural considerations related to substance use.
- Describe your initial recommendations for her treatment and explain why you would recommend MAT or ABT.
- Identify specific resources to which you would refer her. Explain why you would recommend these resources based on her diagnosis and other identity characteristics (e.g., age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, class, ethnicity, religion, etc.).
Note You do not need to include an APA reference to the DSM-5 in your response. However, your response should clearly be informed by the DSM-5, demonstrating an understanding of the risks and benefits of treatment to the client. You do need to include an APA reference for the assessment tool and any other resources you use to support your response.
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5 5TH 13
Morrison, J. (2014). Diagnosis made easier (2nd ed.). New York, NY Guilford Press.
- Chapter 15, “Diagnosing Substance Misuse and Other Addictions” (pp. 238–250)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013q). Substance related and addictive disorders. In Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Arlington, VA Author. doi10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596.dsm16