View the documentary called Do I drink too much? available in the Activity 6 video clips folder.
It shows a British alcohol researcher investigating his own excessive use of alcohol. He refers to his fathers harmful use of alcohol. The film raises a number of questions which I would like you to consider, using the readings. The suggested approach to complete this activity is to view the film and answer the following questions as you view. Some of the answers will be in the documentary itself; for others you will need to read the Moodle readings.
1. What does alcohol do to our brain and body? What are the pharmacological effects of alcohol?
2. Why does alcohol have such strong effects?
3. What are the dangers of young people drinking? What are the effects on the teenage brain?
4. How much about alcohol is written in our genes? See Catalyst program on Addiction: Genetic Studies and Alcohol available in the Activity 6 video clips folder.
5. What are the behavioural traits of people who drink alcohol?
6. People change their pattern of alcohol use over their lives. Please explain.
Personal reflection: Do you drink too much? Or do any members of your family drink too much?
1. Documentary Do I drink too much available in the Activity 6 video clips folder.
2. Catalyst program on Genetic studies and Alcohol available in the Activity 6 video clips folder.
-Documentary Do I drink too much available on YouTube.
-McLellan et al, Drug Dependence, a Chronic Medical Illness: Implications for treatment,
insurance and outcomes evaluation. JAMA 2000: 284 1689-1695