Systems Dynamics Application Case Study
“System dynamics is a method for studying the world around us. Unlike other scientists, who study the world by breaking it up into smaller and smaller pieces, system dynamicists look at things as a whole. The central concept to system dynamics is understanding how all the objects in a system interact with one another” (MIT, 1997.) Note that in system dynamics, the interrelationships between components is just as important as individual components. This assignment requires you to research systems theory and apply systems theory and systems dynamics concepts to a real-world supply chain management case study.
To complete this assignment:
- Start by searching the Capella library or other online sources for “Systems Theory” and “Systems Dynamics.” In particular, consider the work of Jay Forrester as seminal.
- Review the Toba, Tomasini, and Yang article you read in this unit’s study activity. As you review, consider how you can apply the concepts of systems theory you located during your search to improve the organization’s supply chain model.
- Write a 3–4 page paper applying systems theory and systems dynamics to the Toba et al. case to evaluate the efficacy of Kaiser Permanente’s current supply chain model.
- Evaluate the supply chain’s overall performance and business impact.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the supply chain’s techniques, including process management, inventory management, capacity planning, and constraint management.
- Identify which processes in the supply chain could most benefit from statistical analysis. Consider statistical tools that you have been introduced to in prior coursework. Where could you use statistical analysis to improve the performance of the organization’s supply chain?
As you complete your assignment, be sure your paper meets the following guidelines:
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: All resources and citations should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length: 3–4 typed double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Turnitin: Submit your paper to Turnitin prior to submitting it for grading.
When you have completed your paper, submit it to Turnitin and then submit it in the assignment area for grading. Before submitting it, refer to the Systems Dynamics Application Case Study Scoring Guide to ensure your paper meets the evaluation criteria for this assignment.
MIT. (1997). System dynamics. Retrieved from http://web.mit.edu/sysdyn/sd-intro/