Assignment 2: Strategic Action Plans
There are some elements missing from the action plan in Table 9.1 in your text book. If the EMR system is to be integrated with similar systems at local hospitals, and the physicians fully utilize its data-sharing capabilities, representatives from the hospitals must be drawn into this implementation process.
(Moseley III, George B. . Managing Health Care Business Strategy. Jones & Bartlett Publishers, May 2008. p. 251).
Write a three page report answering the following questions:
- What elements (at least two) are missing from the action plan in Table 9.1 for the EMR system? Justify your choice.
- Describe the activities that should be implemented to address the missing elements.
- Describe where these activities would be added to the list (relative to the other activities already listed).
- Specify exactly which people from the hospitals and practice will participate in these new activities and justify your choice.
Table 9.1 Action Plan for Acquiring and Deploying an EMR System in a Physician Practice
Action Plan Objectives:
- 1. Consult with EMR system vendors about critical specifications, available options, and related costs.
- 2. Consult with physicians in the practice about their specific wants and needs in an EMR system.
- 3. Define a decision-making protocol for choosing an EMR system and vendor.
- 4. Establish and apply criteria for evaluating system options available from vendors.
- 5. Invite proposals/presentations from vendors.
- 6. Analyze and discuss options.
- 7. Select system and vendor.
- 8. Negotiate with vendor for purchase of system and related services.
Action Plan Metrics:
- Signed system and services purchase agreement within six months.Initial system cost not to exceed $650,000; annual service contract cost not to exceed $90,000. Physician involvement in decision-making process75 percent.
Specific Implementation Activities:
- 1. Consult vendors (weeks 14) Identify relevant vendors (IT staff) Request detailed information on products (IT staff)
- 2. Consult physicians (weeks 57) Initial meeting with physicians (IT manager, business manager, physician leaders, all physicians) Provide list of potential system capabilities (IT staff) Conduct written survey of physician wants and needs (IT and business staff) Second meeting with physicians to discuss system options and capabilities (IT manager, all physicians)
- 3. Define decision-making protocol (weeks 67) Draft decision-making protocol (IT and business staff) Discuss with physician and business leadership (IT and business staff, business and physician leaders)Finalize and approve decision-making protocol (business and physician leaders)
- 4. Establish criteria (weeks 89) Using information from vendor and physician meetings, draft criteria (IT and business staff) Discuss with physician and business leadership (IT and business managers, physician leaders) Finalize and approve decision-making protocol (business and physician leaders)
- 5. Vendor proposals/presentations (weeks 1014) Invite vendors to make proposals/presentations (IT staff) Schedule presentations at the practice offices (IT staff, physician leaders) Debrief and critique the presentations (IT and business staff, all physicians)
- 6. Analyze options (weeks 1516) Prepare summary sheet on the systems and vendors (IT and business staff) Narrow the number of systems and vendors to a few (IT and business managers)
- 7. Select system and vendor (week 17) Final meeting with physician and business leaders to make final decision (IT and business managers, physician leaders)
- 8. Vendor negotiations (weeks 1822) Initiate negotiations with selected vendor for chosen system (IT and business managers, legal counsel)Complete negotiations and sign purchase and service agreements (IT and business managers, legal counsel)