Spiritual Needs Assessment
(Benchmark Assignment) Spiritual Needs Assessment
This assignment requires you to interview one person and requires an analysis of your interview experience. Must be written from the nursing point of view.
Part I: Interview
Select a patient, a family member, or a friend to interview. Be sure to focus on the interviewees experience as a patient, regardless of whom you choose to interview.
Review The Joint Commission resource which provides some guidelines for creating spiritual assessment tools for evaluating the spiritual needs of patients. Using this resource and any other guidelines/examples that you can find, create your own tool for assessing the spiritual needs of patients.
Create a survey to assess the subjects spiritual need during the interview. The spiritual needs assessment survey needs a minimum of five questions that can be answered during the interview. During the interview, document the interviewees responses.
Submit the transcript of the interview. The transcript should include the questions asked and the answers provided. Be sure record the responses during the interview by taking detailed notes. Omit specific names and other personal information from the interview.
Part II: Analysis
Write a 250-500 word analysis of your interview experience. Be sure to exclude specific names and other personal information from the interview. Instead provide demographics such as sex, age, ethnicity, and religion. Include the following in your response (must answer all 5 questions):
1. What went well?
2. What would you do differently in the future?
3. Were there any barriers or challenges that inhibited your ability to complete the assessment tool? How would you aIDress these in the future or change your assessment to better aIDress these challenges?
4. Describe the spiritual experience you had with your patient, family member, or friend using this tool. How does this tool allow you to better meet the needs of your patient?
5. Did you discover that illness and stress amplified the spiritual concern and needs of your interviewee? Explain your answer with examples.
Submit both the transcript of the interview and the analysis of your results. Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines.
1. Tool for assessing the spiritual needs of patients is present and focuses on experiences of patients. The tool uses effective methods for gathering data that produces the results intended.
2. An analysis of the interview experience is included and aIDresses all of the points included in the assignment instructions. The analysis shows a deep understanding of the connections.
3. Thesis and/or main claim are comprehensive. The essence of the paper is contained within the thesis. Thesis statement makes the purpose of the paper clear.
4. Clear and convincing argument presents a persuasive claim in a distinctive and compelling manner. All sources are authoritative.