I’m trying to study for my Political Science course and I need some help to understand this question.
In this assignment you will be asked to choose 2 of 11 major ‘swing states’ from the 2016 election and find recent statistical data on the following:
- Median household income
- Percentage below poverty level
- (If possible, types of households & income)
- Secondary & Post Secondary education
- Statewide Percentages of ethic groups
- Age & Gender (Voting population, by generation)
Percentages for all four areas are more helpful than actual numbers.
You will use this data to help you complete your memo.
For an overview of the different swing states, please check out this article, Battleground (Links to an external site.).
- New Hampshire
- North Carolina
In writing it’s important to use statistics to support your arguments/conclusions about a subject. A helpful place to go for statistics about different states is the United States Census Bureau website. The American Fact Finder, Community Facts (Links to an external site.) will have a lot of current information listed by state.
Make certain to list where you have gotten your information. You need to cite your sources using APA, MLA, or Chicago Style. You can look at the example below for a Chicago Style citation of a webpage from the Census Bureau.
U.S. Bureau of the Census. Poverty Areas. ONLINE. 1995. Census Bureau. Available: http://www.census.gov/ftp/pub/socdemo/www/povarea…. [10 Dec. 1995].
How to Complete Your Assignment
- Create and upload your information in the form of a chart. Make certain to list your references in APA, MLA, or Chicago format below the chart.
- Submit your work here in the CANVAS system as a Word 97-2003, .docx or other word processing file. (Google Docs (Links to an external site.), Open Office (Links to an external site.) are also acceptable. If you are using iWorks, please convert to one of these files, as your instructor may not be able to view your document.