I’m trying to study for my Science course and I need some help to understand this question.
Obesity – What is Going On Here???
Here is a video on childhood obesity! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC3BNPZQtk8
This week, we make the transition from adolescence into adulthood. As adults we are responsible for our own decisions. We choose many behaviors that either enhance or harm our health. This week the focus for our discussion will be on obesity – a problem that is plaguing our nation’s children, adolescents and adults. Before participating in the discussion read the following current article about obesity in the US.
The World Is Fat
Until 1980, fewer than one in 10 people in industrialized countries like the United States were obese.
Today, these rates have doubled or tripled. In almost half of developed countries, one out of every two people is overweight or obese. These populations are expected to get even heavier in the near future, and in some countries two out of three people are projected to be obese within 10 years.
Those are some of the disturbing statistics from a new report released today by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, a research and membership organization that focuses on the world’s richest nations.
As you can see, in rates of overweight and obese residents, the United States is second to only one industrialized country: Mexico. In America, 28 percent of the adult population is obese and 68 percent is overweight; in Mexico, the respective rates are 30 percent and 70 percent.
The United States does, however, hold the dubious honor of fattest population of children, tied with Scotland. (Note that the rates for children are not exactly comparable, though, as different countries report obesity and overweight rates for different age ranges of children).
If you would like to read more you can check out the full report from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development at
When talking about obesity many will say that obesity is primarily genetic and the majority of those who obese cannot help it. However others argue that if the high levels of obesity were primarily caused by genetics then this should be a problem that has always existed. Yet as stated in the above article just 30 years ago there was a much smaller percentage of people who were obese.
- What is your perspective on the cause of obesity for the large majority of those who are facing this problem?
- Whether you believe that the primary cause of obesity is genetics or lifestyle what has happened in our society since 1980 that has resulted in
doubled or tripled rates of obesity in adults and children?
- What can be done in your own community to turn the obesity trend around? What kind of program might you create in this effort to bring health back
to our society?
- What advice would you give to a friend coping with a weight issue to help them bring about long term change?
Note: Remember to cite a source in your primary post. Also refer to the Psychology Discussion Requirements listed under Getting Started.part
Your Journal research assignments are worth 15% of your grade. Please complete them by the end of the week. You will submit your Research Assignment by clicking on the title “Week 3 Research Assignment” above, then creating your document and saving to your computer. This document will then be uploaded by clicking on “Browse my Computer.”
The Implications of a Sleep Deprived Society
What are the implications of a largely sleep-deprived society? How does the amount of sleep you get affect your own life? How does it affect your health, your emotions, and your performance?
- Write at least 200 words on this topic.
- Save and name your assignment “Week 3 Research Assignment”, then save on your computer. This document will then be uploaded by clicking on “Browse my Computer”.
- Make sure to cite your sources in your assignment.
- Check out some of these websites: