d by the safety and compliance department at your company, several situations were identified as potentially non-compliant.
Here are some lab policy breaches that have occurred in a research lab:
- taking the backup supply of a critical reagent without reporting to supply personnel
- taking a careless approach to using radioactivity (or hazardous materials, including infectious materials)
- improperly disposing of hazardous materials (e.g., dumping ethidium bromide solutions in sink)
- wearing personal protective gloves, scrubs, or lab coat in the eating areas or bathrooms
- using common equipment without adhering to sign-up procedures and not cleaning equipment or area when complete
These are just a few examples of behaviors that can result in lab conflicts. As an example of a possible resolution, when backup supplies of reagents are disappearing, it may become necessary to institute a system in which lab members do not have access to backup supplies, but have to tell a lab manager when they are running low on a reagent so that the lab manager can dispense from the backup and reorder.
This assignment has two deliverables: Safety and Compliance Paper and Discussion Planner
Safety and Compliance Paper
You will prepare a Short Paper (A) and complete the Discussion Planner (B) document in response to a breach of lab policy regarding safety. Example breaches are provided or you may select your scenario based on readings or from experience.
Post in your completed Paper and Discussion Planner in the corresponding assignment folder by the due date.
Part A: In a 2-3 page double-spaced paper:
- Select one of the situations listed above for lab policy breeches.
- Identify the relevant areas of safety and the appropriate regulatory agencies that would apply to the working environment.
- Identify the ways in which this lab does not comply with sound laboratory practices and safety regulations, and what steps would be necessary to bring the lab into compliance.
- Describe your strategy to communicate with all laboratory personnel about any instances of noncompliance and the multi-pronged approach you will take to minimize the recurrence of such noncompliance
Part B: Discussion Planner about Non-compliant Behavior
Now that you have examined the safety regulations, you have working knowledge of the importance of compliance in the workplace. Use the background information from Part (A) to help you to complete the Discussion Planner form (see attachment) for the non-compliant behavior that was demonstrated by laboratory personnel.
Submit the completed Discussion Planner in your assignment folder by the due dat