I’m studying and need help with a History question to help me learn.
For Part 1 you first must read the file “READING” to be able to answer the question.
Part 1: The Context (300 words aprox complete in class and uploaded)
The purpose for writing a critique is to evaluate somebody’s work or ideas (a book, an essay, a movie, a painting…) in order to increase the reader’s understanding of it. Critical analysis is subjective writing because it expresses the writer’s opinion or evaluation of a text. Analysis means to break down and study the parts. Writing a critical paper requires two steps: critical reading and critical writing.
- Students are asked to individually read the provided reading. You are required to highlight and make notes/questions on the reading to help you later.
- To analyze and understanding its main points. You are required to identify the author and date of the text.
- Analyze the main ideas the author has written about.
- Consult a dictionary or other source to understand anything not familiar to you.
- Make an outline of the work or write a description of it – in your own words.
- Write a summary of the text covering the below questions (300 Words) -How is Modernism or Modern Architecture defined?
Why was it important for the Modernist to have unified architectural
style representing the future and how does Art Nouveau fit into this statement? Why is it important to us to look at Modernism in the 21st Century?
For other parts it all depends on research:
Part 2: The Architect
The aim is to develop your understanding of modern architecture by doing an in-depth study of one of the architects and their theoretical approach. Through your study, you will gain a deeper understanding of modern architecture in general and of the specific pioneers. The assignment also focuses on specific cases designed by the pioneers looking at identifying the modernist architecture characteristics.
1. In depth research : (400 words minimum)
Conduct in-depth research of your specific architect looking at :
1- education background- who was the architect influenced by?
2- what was his theoretical approach?
3- what was his attitude towards industrialisation?
4- what was his attitude toward the importance of function in design?
5- what was his attitude towards the importance of the nature in design?
6- attitude towards the importance of the expressing time, place, culture in design?
2. Case Study analysis: (400 words)
Choose 1 building designed by the selected architect and analyze the below points, it is important to make connections to part 1 above:
3- plan; space layout
4- martials used
5- indoor/ outdoor relationship & relationship to the site 6- structural work
Part 3: Conclusion (300 words)
Where did your architect position himself within the debates of modern architecture?
Create a conclusion which identifies the main concepts and ideas which your pioneer architect focused on- identifying the main characteristics of modern architecture. Make connections between the architect and the wider context (Part 1, 2 and 3)