I need support with this Psychology question so I can learn better.
As a school counselor, you will be expected to collaborate with administrators, teachers, parents/guardians, and other stakeholders to promote a college- and career-going culture and provide support to all students. For this assignment, you will have the opportunity to provide education about career theory, models, and frameworks of career development as part of an in-service training to faculty. Additionally, you will articulate the various roles of the school counselor based on the ASCA National Model, ASCA’s Mindsets and Behaviors, and NOSCA’s Eight Components of College and Career Readiness.
Please note that the purpose of this assignment is to teach others about college and career readiness and about the role of the school counselor rather than on identifying specific interventions, approaches, or techniques.
For this assignment, imagine that you are a first-year school counselor who has the opportunity to promote the college- and career-going culture of your school. Refer to the media activity, Blooming Park: College and Career Readiness (linked in Resources) for the information you will need to complete this assignment. Note: Choose one Blooming Park school—the elementary, middle, or high school.
During a meeting with your principal, you reviewed school data and the results from a recent needs assessment that clearly identified a lack of knowledge, collaboration, and stakeholder support related to college and career readiness. Based on the assessment data and your role as a school counselor, you immediately recognized the need for increased consultation with colleagues to promote equity in college access and career readiness for all students. Your principal enthusiastically agreed to give you 15 minutes to present during an upcoming faculty in-service. As a school counselor, you are excited to teach your colleagues about career development theory and models of P–12 comprehensive career development to promote the college and career going culture of your school!
Develop a PowerPoint presentation to disseminate essential college- and career-readiness information to your faculty colleagues. While planning your presentation, keep your audience in mind—your colleagues have been trained as educators rather than school counselors. It is important for your presentation to convey your mastery of the subject matter while presenting it in a way that would be easily understood by your colleagues who are not experts in the field.
Before beginning this assignment, review the scoring guide and resources to ensure that you address the following:
Comprehensive Career Development
- What is college and career readiness?
- What are current trends in college and career readiness?
- Provide a brief overview of major theories of career development, including applicability of the theory to the grade level of the scenario you have chosen (that is, elementary, middle, or high) within the context of school counseling.
- What is comprehensive career development and why is it needed?
- Briefly address the ASCA National Model, ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors for Student Success, and NOSCA’s Eight Components of College and Career Readiness and Behaviors.
- How would you describe the career development needs of students at the elementary, middle, and high school levels?
- Be brief and concise but provide enough information for faculty to understand the need for P–12 comprehensive career development.
- You may also want to emphasize the developmental level of the students at your chosen school level.
- What are the legal and ethical considerations specific to school counseling for college and career readiness?
- Be sure to address the impact from federal, state, and local legislature and government policies on college and career readiness.
- For the state portion, focus on the state in which you intend to become credentialed upon completion of the program.
Roles and Services
- What is the role of the school counselor in relation to college and career readiness?
- Note: Review the ASCA National Model, ASCA Mindsets and Behaviors for Student Success, and NOSCA’s 8 Components of College and Career Readiness.
- What is the role of the school counselor in consultation with postsecondary school personnel?
- What are some practical strategies for faculty to promote college and career readiness for all students by engaging in efforts to increase promotion and graduation rates and to promote equity in student achievement and college access?
- How do school counselors plan for and support transitions between schools (elementary, middle, and high school) and the postsecondary transition? Include suggestions for teachers to facilitate school and postsecondary transitions.
Remember to review the scoring guide criteria carefully before you begin the assignment.
- Presentation format: 15–20 PowerPoint slides plus a title slide and a reference slide. Citations must be included on the PowerPoint slides and corresponding references included on a references slide.
- Written communication: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with the expectations for members of professional communities. Please ensure that your written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA format: Resources and citations should follow current APA style and formatting.