DISCUSSION QUESTIONS: CHAPTER 4 UNIT 2 LEGAL TERMINOLOGY
1. What role do values play in making ethical decisions?
2. What is the difference between laws and ethical standards?
3. What are the characteristics of an ethical organization?
4. Name several U.S. laws mentioned in chapter 4 of Legal Terminology, and describe how they might protect you in the workplace.
5. Name the four steps in the process for making ethical decisions.
6. Explain how carelessness and ignorance can result in breaches of confidentiality.
7. What does respecting your employer’s resources mean?
Recommending Friend: There is a job opening in your office, and you have been asked to serve on the hiring committee. An old friend of yours has applied. You know your friend really needs a job. You also know she was let go by her last employer. You suspect that it was because she spent too much time on the phone and emailing friends. You know she will expect you to put in a good word for her if you are on the committee. Should you serve on the hiring committee? Should you recommend her? Should you share your suspicions with the committee? How will you respond if she asks you to be a reference? Work in a small group. Use the four-step process described in the “Making Ethical Choices” section of the chapter to answer these questions.