I’m trying to learn for my Business class and I’m stuck. Can you help?
Respond to the following in a minimum of 175 words:
Consider this week’s reading selections, and discuss how you can use the leadership skills you identified in your self-assessment to foster innovation and lead change in a dynamic environment. How do your weaknesses provide obstacles to your ability to manage change?
RESPONSE TO PEERS
In your response to your peers, compare your own strengths and weakness in leading change. How could you work together to make the changes you seek?
Discuss how you can use the leadership skills you identified in your self-assessment to foster innovation and lead change in a dynamic environment.
- Based off mh results from the assessment in week one and what I know about my leadership approach, being democratic & shared leadership, I think my willingness to be open minded and wanting others ideas for innovation will allows us to lead to new ideas and evolve. My main approach is fostering thoughts and ideas of the team on new ways we can do things to fins successes. Because of this style or approach, it puts communication and togetherness up front which allows many to be involved. Not only involved, welcomed, and that their thoughts, ideas and opinions matter too.
How does your weaknesses provide obstacles to your ability to manage change?
- I think the main thing about my weakness is that I am too organized. Because of this I have a hard time not doing things the exact way I want something done. However, over the years I know I have grown in this area and have found that my teams successes really are because I have let go of that “control” aspect and really allowed others to shine. It’s a continuous obstacle and something I continue to work on so that way I don’t ever fall back into those habits. When it comes to change, I may not always agree on how others do it, but I respectfully implement the plans and work towards success like it were my plan. I have learned that if failures occur, all I can do it offer future suggestions on what we might do to implement an updated change for better results.
I would say that my leadership style had changed drastically over the past, I was an autocratic leader upon leaving the service and looking back I can see that I slowly started to change over to a strategic style leadership. Most recently, over the past two years, I have seen myself as an Idealist type leadership. This transformation was not clear when it was happening, but it was easy to see looking back. I believe that using multiple methods from different leadership styles can help promote innovation and lead change by being dynamic in abilities in a dynamic environment, as long as I am able to correctly read a situation and use specific leadership methods appropriately.
My current weakness of not being very structured will come as a huge relief to some individuals, yet there are others who require pin point accuracy in day to day instruction. I find it hard to give the required structure that is needed and it will undermine some of the effectiveness of change management. My goal will be to build trust with the employees by allowing them to set their own structure, with some words of advice from me and not reprimanding for incompetence of structure that I did not set.
IMPLEMENTING CHANGE BUSINESS CASE
Purpose of Assessment
Demonstrate how a leader can implement change within an organization to enhance effectiveness and efficiency. You will consider the information you learned in your conversation with the company you contacted in Week 5. You will be measured on how you apply key managerial skills to foster innovation and lead change in a dynamic business as well as your ability to listen actively and respond using appropriate tone and word choice.
Your boss has asked you to implement a new rotating work schedule that requires employees to work different schedules each week. She would like to know how other companies in the area have handled their schedule changes in the past to determine if their change model is applicable to this situation.
Review the discussion with the organization you contacted in Week 5, and consider whether you would use any of the strategies to implement a new rotating work schedule.
Prepare a 12- to 15-slide presentation (e.g. Microsoft PowerPoint, Prezi®, etc.) to build a business case for your boss and your organization’s leadership team. Your presentation should include speaker notes, and ensure you do the following:
- Analyze the change requested by your boss:
- Analyze the impact of this change to the bottom line (profit, productivity, and expenses).
- Analyze the desired result or goal.
- Analyze who will be affected by the change.
- Analyze the change management approach(es) used by the company you interviewed in Week 5.
- Identify the company you chose to interview for your research.
- Discuss the approach(es) the company used to make a change in the past. Include elements of your interview, such as your questions and the company representative’s responses.
- Evaluate whether you would use any of the change management strategies from your Week 5 interview.
- Analyze the role of the leader to accomplish the change.
- Assess what metrics will be applied to determine success or failure.
- Determine the timeline for the change.